Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 23, 2007

SAHM-Common term in the blog world

I have read many posts on DesiMomz Club on SAHM Vs Working Mom,the differences, what has been the choice with many bloggers, why they chose what they chose, whether they are happy with the decisions etc.I think the question to ask is, if you are happy with your decision and if it is working out fine with the child, the husband and rest of the involved family.

We were a family of 5, my parents and my 2 older brothers.I have spent my entire childhood, with my mom always at home, taking care of us, cooking, helping us with our homework, teaching techniques to remember the difficult math formulas etc.Even though my mom could have gone outside the house and worked, she never did, thinking she would wreck the family order.After a while we got so used to her being at home all the time, even a few years of tuition and a little bit of teaching in a public school,was too much time away from her for the 3 siblings.So, that way we were very,very spoilt:-)

I grew up as not a very career oriented person, may be because I never saw my mom go to work, or may be because it was never in me.Got married at 21 and came to the US and enjoyed the first year with out doing much.Then I did a certificate program taking breaks here and there.Started my first job in 2003, worked for almost 3 years and then decided to plan for a baby.

From the time we started planning for the baby,I wanted to stay at home with my baby after birth until she was around 2 years old.I knew that for sure.This was in order to enjoy the time with the little one, and not go through the whole issue of sending her to day care,and me juggling with a job, the house and the baby.Knowing my mentality, I knew it would be next to impossible.Hubby was supportive of my decision.

I had to quit my job earlier than I thought,in my 6Th month of pregnancy due to a lot of sickness and weight loss until that point.She was born in march of '06 and it has been an amazing experience so far.I can not imagine missing out on all the wonderful things she has been doing and saying and just to have seen her grow from a tiny 6 pound er to a mischievous toddler(18 months).From the last couple of months,I have been getting restless to get back to work, to get back to doing something.I am going to be stressed out as a working mom, I know that, but I still want to be out there working, and not feeling left out once my daughter is out doing her own thing.Bottom of my heart, I am not put up to stay at home 'forever' and it does not make sense in any way to do that.Not only for the money, but just to feel the independence of working and having my own life outside the house and family.

For the most part I enjoy this time with her at home, but there are times when I see and hear about working moms, who are managing everything well and feel left out and feel the need to be on the other side.I know its matter of time before I get out to work.I am glad that I have this choice of staying at home with my little angel for now.

4 comments:

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Very very nice.. Aunty worked in a public school I never knew that ! I always thought that your house was a great place to be in, so much of warmth and laughter.
You go girl

Miss D Mom(MDM) said...

She worked for a very short period,before we met in college.She used to take tuitions for a long time.

the mad momma said...

aww..its always a tough choice to make. hang in there and the decision that suits your family will come to you soon enough.

Miss D Mom(MDM) said...

MM:Thank you for your nice words.Yup, the challenge is to be happy with the choice we make.
You have a very cute daughter there,the picture of the week is adorable.