Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Amma.....not Mommy

Miss D:Mommy.......
Me: Not Mommy,call me amma......

After a few minutes....
Miss D: Mommy......
Me: Mommy illey.....amma koopidu(not mommy, call me amma)

This is the scene from morning till night at home form the last one week.

From when she began to say her first words, she has been calling me 'amma' and her dad 'appa'.I was very happy that she called us that and never introduced the word 'mommy', since I really wanted her to call me 'amma'.All of a sudden she picked up the word mommy either from seeing something on tv or from her favorite Bina akka,who calls her mother 'mommy'.She used it on me a few times here and there a few weeks back and I was amazed at how she learnt it on her own and knew what it meant.It was cute.

Then it became more frequent and I started correcting her.From the last one week,all she is calling me is 'mommy'! She has completely stopped saying 'amma'.I correct her every time, she says it for my sake and then goes back to mommy.Sometimes she does not even say it for my sake, just plain refuses to hear me!:-( She gets mad when her dad tries to correct her.An other reason may be that I call my MIL 'maami' ,so she hears a similar sounding word and wants to use it even more.We all try to correct her every single time she uses it, but it does not seem to be going anywhere........

Its not a big deal, amma,mom,mommy,mummy.......they all mean the same and nothing will change between us if she calls me by the other,but somehow I have this thing in my mind that she should call me 'amma'.May be because she has always called me that and I don't want that to change, or may be because I want her to say it in our mother tongue.

4 comments:

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

Oh I know how you feel about this.. ! Whenever Poppin's dad is asked by his parents why Poppin does not call him "appa", he sayd, as long as she's still calling out to me 10 years from now, she can call me any goddamn thing :)

Miss D Mom(MDM) said...

I know,its cute,any which way they call.The cutest is what Poppin calls you:-)!

A1A2's mom said...

I know how that feels, A1 flip-flops between mummy/mom/amma depending on where he is, he cleverly calls me mom/mommy when I go to pick him up at his daycare, and its amma at home from thereafter, so don't worry, once she sees you guys re-inforcing amma, I am sure she will pick it up, and I agree, amma sounds so much more nicer to your ears.

Miss D Mom(MDM) said...

Hey A1A2's mom...how are you?Ya,I have kind of given up on changing it everytime she calls me.Mommy is fine for now,will see what happens as she grows....