Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Can you hear the bell?

This post is by Poppins of http://babiesanon.blogspot.com

I used to be obsessed about poppin meeting her milestones. We all are I guess. But since poppin was born premature, I used to obsess more than normal about her milestones, always on the lookout for some disability. And I remembered this funny incident that I thought I should share.

When poppin was 4 months old, baby center said that she 'should turn her head to the source of sound'. But she didn't. Immediately, I got frantic. I tried clapping, calling her name, etc but nope. Madam would not give me the time of the day. So I called DH. He came running from work (can you believe it) and we thought poppin was deaf. My mom tried to interject some calm into the proceedings but soon she got caught up with our anxieties.

We knew poppin was responding by smiling when we made funny noises, but we thought that maybe she was lip reading. Finally we rang a bell close to her ear multiple times. Till she once deigned to look up at it. Phew ! We were nervous wrecks by then. I still don't remember how we resolved our fears, but it just goes to show that sometimes too much information can also be a dangerous thing.

Nowadays I hardly read those milestone emails that I get. I just go by my gut instinct. I know that those milestones are only an indication of the age by which an average baby would reach them, and we all know that our little ones are just NOT average :-) !

2 comments:

A1A2's mom said...

Oh I know what you mean, its not only you ohsessing about what your baby will or won't do, but also comparing with other babies their age. I always try to stay away from doing that, but when you see another baby, you are subconsciously comparing the two, nowadays its come down to "Oh it would be nice if mine could do that, or have at least one tooth" when you see a child of 8 months with 4 or more teeth, mine being going on 11 months without a tooth in sight! I guess the anxiety becomes more acute when I'm at the pediatrician's office and he's just reeling out so many q's asking if baby does this or that and I usually end up thinking I have the slowest kid in the world!

Miss D Mom(MDM) said...

They end up doing everything eventually,end up getting all their teeth eventually and end up normal!:-)But we moms have to worry about something or the other all the time,so i guess its God's way of playing around with our thoughts.